Marathon Full Day
take a look at the marvellous
sites and spots of Marathon
How we start our trip!
Our suggestion if possible is to start your tour at 08:00 am.
You will have the added benefit of visiting archaeological sites at different times from the large tour buses and groups of visitors, thus enabling you to experience the wonderful monuments and learn their history at a time of the day when they are not overcrowded.
We will make our first stop at Marathon Lake where you will have the chance to have an early Greek coffee in a nice coffee shop right above the Marathon Lake, enjoy the scenery and take beautiful photos.
The temple is rarely crowded and stands by an amazing museum filled with images of the children who studied at the temple, discreetly hidden, approachable by the curving road from the parking area.
We will leave the museum and after a 20 mile, drive we will arrive at Cape Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon built on top of the hill, exactly at the meeting point of the Saronic Sea with the Aegean Sea.
The temple was dedicated to God Poseidon, the lord of the Sea and it was there where all the sailors offered a last sacrifice to appease God Poseidon before leaving the safety of the Saronic Golf.
Most of the visitors agree that the drive is quite similar to the French Riviera area.
We will drive through the most beautiful suburbs of Athens: Lagonissi, Vouliagmeni, Voula, Glyfada and Old Phaleron. A few stops are required so you can have the opportunity to take photos of the sandy beaches, the yacht harbors, and Vouliagmeni Lake whose water possesses therapeutic qualities.
The duration of the tour is approximately 9-10 hours.
• For students from E.U (student id is required)
• Free entrance: For children up to 5 years old
• Free entrance: For children up to 25 years old from E.U Countries
• Reduced entrance fee for students outside the E.U
• Reduced entrance fee for children from 6 up to 25 years old outside the E.U
• Reduced entrance fee for citizens over 65 years old from E.U Countries
• Winter: From November 1 to March 31 08:30 until 15:00
• Summer: From April 1 to October 31 08:00 until 19:30
• January 1st: closed
• January 6th: 08:30 until 15:00
• Shrove Monday: 08:30 until 15:00
• March 25th: closed
• Good Friday: 12:00 until 17:00
• Holy Saturday: 08:30 until 15:00
• Easter Sunday: closed
• Easter Monday: closed
• May 1st: closed
• Holy Spirit day: 08:30 until 15:00
• August 15th: 08:30 until 15:00
• October 28th: 08:00 until 15:00
• December 25th: closed
• December 26th: closed
Marathon site’s opening Days
• Wednesday to Monday